The North @ Scientific Malaysian Issue 13



I was never much of an academic to begin with. It would always take me too long to figure out experiments in university laboratories and aside from a wonderful term as a cherry genome analyst with Agriculture Canada, I was never able to prove myself as a researcher. However, the concept and importance of scientific literacy was always clear to me, especially in a post-truth world of alternative facts.

My piece in Scientific Malaysian Issue 13 is a personal odyssey of sorts. I tied my experiences trying to see the Northern Lights to climate change in two places: Whitehorse, capital of the Yukon Territory, and Fort McMurray, the oil capital of Canada. Through them, I sought to understand climate change in the north while trying to tell a story at the same time. It is a very short essay but it is one of my favorites. You can find it at this link.

Here I would like to shout a huge thank you to the team behind Scientific Malaysian. Academic writing and scientific communication can often be thankless jobs. And that is why we need people like them, and efforts like theirs, more than ever.

To find out more about Scientific Malaysian, read here.

Comments